Why Fermented Foods?
Before we get into the details, there is one thing you need to know: fermented foods are AMAZING!They are powerful healers of digestion and overall health.
Why? Because they are full of bacteria, and other great things!
Did you know that our bodies have a 10 to 1 ratio of bacteria to human gene? Yes, we actually ARE bacteria! So best by making sure we look after these fellows, we will ensure our bodies can operate at their best.
You might think, “Oh, my digestion works just fine, I don’t need this stuff.” But what you might not know is that the digestive system is the boss of pretty much all the other systems of your body. In fact, the digestive system has its own ‘brain’! It could function all by itself if it had to. And 80% of your immune system can be found – you guessed it – in your belly! There is even a strong connection between your digestion and mental health. More and more studies are proving that people with mental disorders such as depression, anxiety, schizophrenia and autism also suffer from digestive problems and their symptoms improve once addressing their digestion.
How It Started
Cultures from all over the world have been traditionally fermenting their foods for thousands of years – not just as a means for food preservation (thanks to the lack of fridges back then!) but also as a way to benefit health thanks to this essential tool for maintaining digestive help.
Almost every country has their version of ferments: Korea has Kim Chi, Russia and Eastern Europe have Kefir and Kvass, Germany has Sauerkraut, France has cultured butter and cheeses, Japan has iso and other pickles, the Inuit have fermented shark (it is really quite smelly) and many African countries have fermented grains to eat as porridge or bread. The list is long!
Fermentation is a deep-rooted tradition that we have lost along the way, as time has gotten scarce and fast foods have become more available.
These valuable, true super foods have only recently made a return as an important and essential part of our diet. You might have noticed by now that fermented foods and sauerkraut have become quite trendy, along with green smoothies, bone broths, and quitting sugar!
The word ‘sauerkraut’ is German for ‘sour weeds’, but to make it easier, we use this term for most fermented vegetables.
There are countless benefits to eating sauerkraut!
We are learning new properties every week and hear many stories from our customers on how sauerkraut changed their life for the better.
Here’s a list of what sauerkraut can help with:
- Full of valuable enzymes to help break down proteins and fats
- Packed with vitamins and mineral, which are easily absorbed due to the fermentation process
- Literally millions of happy bacteria are found in sauerkraut, ready to balance your gut flora
- Helps fight sugar cravings
- Helps to improve digestive issues such as bloating, constipation, cramping, IBS
- Assists in cancer prevention
- Helps to clear acne and skin conditions
- Helps to calm the bellies of colicky babies
- Helps to fight off diseases such as colds and flus, as well as candida and other maladies – 80% of the immune
- system lies in the digestive tract
- Contains 10 times more probiotics than expensive probiotic supplements on the market!
Check out our full fermented product list