Why Choose Alive Foods?
Here is just a little overview why the Alive Foods product range is one of the most superior fermented food businesses in Australia:
How We Work
There are many ways of fermenting vegetables. There are even more opinions the right and wrong ways to do it.
We have experimented A LOT and found a way that works best for us and our cabbage babies.
Here a few principles:
- We shred our cabbages the traditional way – long thin shreds – to maintain a crunchy texture.
- We produce relatively small batches of sauerkraut in order for us to control quality & consistency. We taste every single batch of kraut before it goes on the shelf & into your fridge.
- At Alive Foods the business owners are still the producers- no one cares about our product as much as we do!
- We only ferment ‘wild’– meaning we do not add any artificial, lab-made starter culture (more on this in the FAQs).
- We use only 100% organic ingredients, produced as locally as possible.
- We grow many of our ingredients on a certified organic farm, including cabbages when they are in season in Northern NSW.
- We use only amazing freshly harvested springwater from our area (find out more here.
- We use Celtic sea salt for its superior mineral content & minimal processing.
- We adjust fermentation time depending on the season and temperature. In summer we generally ferment for 14 days and in winter between 4 to 6 weeks. Our fermentation vessels are not stored in heated rooms to accelerate the fermentation process (as is custom with many large sauerkraut companies).
- We both have a European background and the love of kraut is in our blood.
- We sell or products at the local markets and through this direct contact with our customers, we get a lot of feedback. This way we hear if something needs a little tweaking and we keep perfecting our krauts!